What to Do if Your Boss Sexually Harasses You

Sexual harassment in the workplace is a serious issue that happens all too often. Off-color jokes, groping gestures, and displaying sexually explicit images in the workplace are all illegal activities that must not be tolerated. If your boss should ever repeatedly sexually harass you, there are several things you can do to get an upper hand on the situation and prepare for a possible lawsuit.


While your situation may be extremely uncomfortable, it is important that you do not resign from your position at the first sign of sexual harassment. Many employees quit immediately, as they are too embarrassed by the situation or afraid to take action. This is understandable, but by quitting you may be unable to do anything to fix the situation. According to the United States Supreme Court, if your place of work has an established sexual harassment policy, you must give your employer notice of your claims and an opportunity for them change their behavior.


If you are being harassed, it is important that you submit an official written notice of your complaint. Title this document “Formal Complaint of Sexual Harassment” and make sure this notice is detailed, including everything that was said and experienced. Make sure that you indicate that this harassment is in relation to your sex, as this is a protected class under the Equal Employment Opportunity program (EEO).

If your employer does not make any effort to cease these actions, file another complaint. Usually, the courts require that harassment suits must be severe or frequent enough to significantly alter the terms and conditions of your employment. Repeated incidents can help you prove this requirement.


If your employer still does not make an effort to change their behavior or if they retaliate against you in some way, it is time to speak to a dedicated Royal Oak employment law attorney from Rasor Law Firm. Our lawyers are prepared to fight tooth and nail to ensure that your employer is held accountable for their actions. With more than 20 years of experience, we can provide the top-rated legal representation you need during this difficult time.

Call us today at (248) 796-0334 or contact us online to discuss your situation in greater detail.

Call Map