Are ridesharing services like Uber and Lyft fundamentally unsafe?
In our opinion, yes. These ridesharing services like Uber and Lyft took a heavily regulated industry and created a business model with absolutely no oversight. Prior to Uber and Lyft, cab companies and limousine companies were heavily regulated. Complete background checks were done on the drivers, the companies knew who the drivers were, and the cars were required to post warnings for passengers where riders could see them.
Uber and Lyft completely disregarded their responsibility to keep passengers safe and as a result, tens of thousands of passengers are assaulted and sexually assaulted by drivers.
Moreover, because the drivers are distracted by their apps and there is no road test given, additional tens of thousands of people per year are injured in horrible preventable accidents which occur due to drivers’ inexperience and inattention.
The first time that a company like Uber or Lyft really knows anything about a driver is after a sexual assault or another assault has been reported to them. Prior to that, no one from Uber and/or Lyft knows anything about that driver. Fingerprints are not required, there is no national database search, there’s no road test and the driver’s criminal history in other countries is not searched. In reality, the drivers are virtually approved by robots with no human intervention.
What’s worse is that Uber’s marketing caters to women who feel that they would be safe riding in an Uber especially if they are intoxicated. Since Uber does nothing to verify the qualifications of drivers, there have been many cases where sexual predators become Uber drivers to victimize women who are intoxicated.
But if you have to take a rideshare service, what can you do to be safe?
Uber Rideshare Safety: Tips to Prevent Sexual Assault
Rideshare services like Uber have transformed the way we travel. With just a few taps on your phone, you can quickly and easily book a ride. However, with the convenience of rideshare services comes a heightened risk of sexual assault. It’s important to take precautions to protect yourself when using these services. Here are some tips to help prevent sexual assault:
1. Check the driver’s details – Before getting into the car, make sure that the car and the driver match the details provided in the app. Check the license plate, car make and model, and the driver’s name and photo.
2. Sit in the backseat – Sitting in the backseat can help you keep a safe distance from the driver and reduce the risk of unwanted physical contact.
3. Share your trip details – Share your ride details with a friend or family member so that they know where you are and when you are expected to arrive at your destination.
4. Trust your instincts – If you feel uncomfortable with your driver or the situation, trust your instincts and get out of the car as soon as possible.
5. Use the app’s safety features – Uber has several safety features built into their app, such as a “Share Trip” feature, which allows you to share your trip details with friends and family, and an emergency button, which allows you to quickly contact emergency services.
6. Avoid traveling alone – If possible, avoid traveling alone, especially at night.
7. Keep your phone charged – Make sure your phone is fully charged before booking a ride so that you can use the app’s safety features or contact emergency services if needed.
8. Report any incidents – If you experience or witness any incidents of sexual assault or misconduct, report them to the rideshare company and the police as soon as possible.
By following these safety tips, you can help reduce the risk of sexual assault when using rideshare services like Uber. Remember, your safety is important, and it’s always better to be cautious than sorry.
If you have been a victim of sexual assault during an Uber rideshare, it is important to seek immediate help and report the incident to the authorities. You can contact the National Sexual Assault Hotline at 800-656-HOPE (4673) for confidential support and guidance on what to do next.
It is also essential to contact an experienced attorney at Rasor Law Firm, PLLC who specializes in sexual assault cases. We can provide you with the necessary legal guidance, support, and representation throughout the legal process. Remember, you have the right to seek justice and hold those responsible accountable for their actions.